Wednesday, November 16, 2011

A Pleasant Quote: Keeping the World Sweet and Beautiful

  A friend sent me this quote several years ago while we were caring for a rather rough (but also endearing...) young man whose single parent was in the hospital with cancer.  It speaks vividly to mothers of boys, but also gives a picture of true femininity for our daughters and ourselves.  Good women of nerve, courage, and patience who make the world a kinder, more beautiful place...yes, that it just what I pray for all of us and for the young women in our care!

"It is the sisters and wives and mothers, you know, Caddie, who keep the world sweet and beautiful. What a rough world it would be if there were only men and boys in it, doing things in their rough way! A woman's task is to teach them gentleness and courtesy and love and kindness. It's a big task, too, Caddie - harder than cutting trees or building mills or damming rivers. It takes nerve and courage and patience, but good women have those things. They have them just as much as the men who build bridges and carve roads through the wilderness. A woman's work is something fine and noble to grow up to, and it is just as important as a man's. But no man could ever do it so well. I don't want you to be the silly, affected person with fine clothes and manners, whom folks sometimes call a lady. No, that is not what I want for you, my little girl. I want you to be a woman with a wise and understanding heart, healthy in body and honest in mind."

~from Caddy Woodlawn









Growing Home

4 comments:

  1. Caddy Woodlawn was my all-time favorite book as a young girl! What a pleasure it was to read the excerpt again. I got so much more out of it this time than when I was 12. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a high calling, for sure. Thanks for the reminder!

    I'm rereading the Little House series out loud and, once again, am struck by Ma. What an incredible example she is of this quote.

    Annie Kate
    http://anniekateshomeschoolreviews.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an influence we do have as women! Thank God for the gentling and sweetening of our men without making them girly or soft. I have had to work on my sons to grow compassion in them. It is a slow process, but it has to be modeled, doesn't it? Thank the Lord for courage to be sweet and effective influencers to our culture :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a daughter reading the Little House books currently, Annie Kate. Don't you just love the play and pleasant thoughts that good books inspire?

    ReplyDelete