Thursday, January 19, 2012

Homemade Instant Breakfast

 My friend Jonquil  is an former food scientist who is brimming with wonderful ideas when it comes to thrifty, healthy homemaking. I am so thankful to know her! We have bounced babies on our laps together, and spent hours watching teenagers bounce basketballs in the gym.  She sports her tranquil demeanor as beautifully as she sports her all-natural-west-coast-native-L.L. Bean-look :), and is one of the best listening ears around. She is a dear sister in the faith ... and this week is her birthday!

 Today I am sharing one of her great ideas with you: homemade instant breakfast. This is not a concoction for the allergy crowd, but is wonderful money-saver if you are a fan of the store bought Carnation Instant Breakfast.  One of the main ingredients is dry milk. Did you know that you can add extra dry milk in your baking to boost nutrition value of baked goods and casseroles?  I learned this trick from a NICU nutritionist that was trying to fatten me up/increase my nutrition while I was pumping for our preemie. (The nutritionist also said it is a great technique to use if you are recovering from a broken bone and want to speed healing.) Here  is what you need for this protein/calcium boosting drink mix::

3 cups dry milk
1 package instant chocolate pudding

Mix together and store in an air tight container.  Add desired amount to you milk, stir, and enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the tip!

    You can also add dry milk to baked goods to increase the calories for underweight kids.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds SO good, Mrs. T. I do love chocolate, and it is good to know that powdered milk can speed healing. Who would have known? Blessings :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for this recipe! It's just what I was looking for. My doc told me to make it with whole milk, cream, and olive oil to plump up my skinny kiddos. Too bad I can't give them some of my excess! Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete