Saturday, February 18, 2012

Quote of the Week


This passage is from our reading this week. I have thought of it often and hope it will be an encouragement to you!

" Throughout his ministry Edwards was blessed to have a lovely, godly wife by his said. Sarah Pierrepont saw it as her spiritual duty to keep her home peaceful and pleasant so Jonathan could devote the maximum amount of time to his studies and ministry.  That she was able to do this with eleven children is a testimony to her qualities.  When the rigors of the day came to a close, Jonathan and Sarah would ride horseback through the nearby woods and Jonathan would freely share with Sarah all the spiritual riches he had mined in his studies that day.

  When the evangelist George Whitfield was in the Edwards' home he was impressed by their happiness and wrote, 'I felt great satisfaction in being at the house of Mr. Edwards. A sweeter couple I have not yet seen.  Their children were not dressed in silks and satin, but plain, as become the children of thoses who, in all things, ought to be examples of Christian simplicity.  Mrs. Edwards is adorned with a meek and quiet spirit. She talked solidly of the things of God, and seemed to be such a help-meet of her husband, that she caused me to renew those prayers, which, for some months, I have put to God, that He would be pleased to send me a daughter of Abraham to be my wife. "

                                                        ~ from Heroes of the Faith, by Gene Fedele
                                                                         ( emphasis added)

3 comments:

  1. What a lovely reminder of the roles God planned for husband and wife.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, Mrs. T! this is such a beautiful post. I am almost thinking of asking you if I can share it on my blog and link back to you!! I love the Edwards! I pray you are well. Maybe if you haven't linked-up this week, you would consider adding this post! It is one I could feature next Wednesday!! Blessings, dear friend, in Jesus!

    ReplyDelete
  3. TY, dear friend. I love these words and am thankful you added them.
    Blessings to you and your household.

    ReplyDelete