Monday, August 8, 2011

Surviving or Thriving? Back to School Reminders for Moms...Part 3


Welcome to Part 3 of the Surviving or Thriving series!   Today I am covering three of my favorite reminders : Tie Some Heartstrings, Keep it Light, and Pray! 

Tie Some Heartstrings. Years ago I received email reminders throughout the day from Kim of Large Family Logistics. In addition to reminding me to do things like clean up the back yard, spend 15 minutes of phonics time with the littleone, and organize my desk, I was sent a reminder to "Tie Some Heartstrings". I love the imagery of that phrase. Our children, our husband, and even our friends and neighbors, need to know how much we love them.  They need verbal and tangible reminders of our affection for them.  Study your loved ones and learn how to minister to their hearts with encouraging words and deeds.I once read an article stating that nurses, teachers and housewives often suffer from burnout because the consuming and endless nature of their tasks end up outweighing the time they spend on relationships with those they serve.We cannot let this happen in our homes! Yes, your work is endless...but, in a way, that leaves you plenty of time to prioritize showing love to those in our care.  You may never really get caught up anyway :)...and even if you did would it truly be all that fulfilling? Focus on what is truly important and show an abundance of love to those around you!

Keep it Light. Last fall a friend and I were at a ladies' retreat with our teenage daughters.  Late in the evening someone said something quite funny and my friend and I began laughing hysterically. Very soon we noticed our teenagers staring at us with shocked expressions.Laughing that hard is not something we do everyday! Most of the things we deal with day in and day out are not funny. However, this is no excuse for letting a heavy atmosphere creep into our homes. I find that one of the best ways to lighten the mood in the home is to do something unexpected. In our house, we occasionally will rap. Yup. God has placed us in the city and we can hardly open the door without hearing someone's car booming out rap music ( thankfully we usually cannot understand the words!).This often leaves me internally screaming, "ARGHHHH!!!! Melody? Harmony? Where are thou!?" So we, world's most unlikely rappers, overcome our circumstances by creating corny, wholesome numbers of our own. I "rap" phone messages to my beloved a few times a week. When I feel like I might start yelling about a messy room, I... conservative, quiet little introvert that I am...will rap the urgent request to "Let the Tidying Begin!". The big kids roll their eyes, but they are smiling, and the little kids are laughing. The pleasant mood of the home is preserved.  I am sure you have your own (much more dignified and distinguished) way of keeping the mood light, but do not underestimate the power of a smiling, laughing, unpredictable mother!

Pray.  Cast all your burden upon the Lord, for he cares for you ( I Peter 5:7).   But if any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask of God, who gives to all generously and without reproach, and it will be given to him.( James 1:5). 
Not much more to be said than that!  We have a Lord who cares for our every need and is ready to give us the wisdom we need for each and every situation during the upcoming school year. Don't be afraid to leave the school area for a moment or two  (take the little one with you if necessary) and go pray for a few minutes in your room.I do this often, and the funny thing is that my children seem to think I am in my room eating M&Ms :).  I like to kneel, not because there is anything magical about a particular posture while praying, but just because it reminds me of my dependence on the Lord and that if I humble myself He will lift me up.  And He does! Go to Him often with your cares and don't try to manage them alone!

My prayer is that each one of you will have a most blessed school year ahead! 
Growing Home

2 comments:

  1. I am so encouraged by your back to school posts. Since school will be new to us this year, I feel overwhelmed since I don't know our "new normal" yet. Your reminders are so wonderful...especially reminding myself of God's Word throughout the day. But, really, all of them are so uplifiting and all very do-able!! Thank you for sharing. {I am so impressed with Peace's photography!! Really wonderful photos!}

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, friend! I am praying for your new school year! I can't believe they are starting school already!!

    ReplyDelete