Saturday, June 11, 2011

Bulk Food Stores and Natural Evaporated Cane Juice Sugar


One of the many places I enjoyed discovering on our little adventure to Ohio was the Amstutz Pantry in Dalton.  Dalton may sound like a town  to you, but let me assure you that this place is in the middle of nowhere! However, the drive was beautiful and the trip out there was well worth it. I had never experienced bulk food stores quite like the ones we visited in the Amish areas. How I wish I lived closer to one! I think we visited three different bulk stores on our trip, but the Amstutz Pantry was my favorite. The ladies were so kind and helpful, their selection was wonderful, and their prices were a fraction of what I usually pay. Amstutz Pantry has a Facebook fan page and I encourage you to check them out and pay them a visit if you are anywhere in the area!

While I was thrilled to stock up on several staples for gluten-free baking, I was especially excited to acquire some affordable Natural Evaporated Cane Juice Sugar. The Southerners in my world have this thing for sweet tea.  I am talking about really, really sweet tea! It sincerely pains me to stir in all that  over-processed white stuff, knowing I am probably hastening adult-onset diabetes or some other undesirable and dangerous condition.  Natural evaporated Cane Juice Sugar is less refined and thus retains the natural B vitamins found in sugar cane. Used in moderation, it has not been associated with any of the health issues and problems that occur with refined white sugar.  Best of all, it can be used exactly as you use regular sugar in your baking...and in your tea!  Taste? Delicious!

On other little note about the Amstutz Pantry....if you have a Lego lover in you household you will be interested to know that they sell candy that tastes like Smarties and looks just like pastel Lego bricks. You can even build with them! I couldn't help but remember all the birthdays when we topped cupcakes with Lego mini-figures and decorated out table with Lego creations.  What fun we would have had with Lego bricks that you can really eat :). And, yes, I couldn't resist bring home a bag for the big kids...and their parents... to play with !

No comments:

Post a Comment