Thursday, July 21, 2011

Summer Thrift: Estate Sales

I am always on the look out for unique and useful items at bargain prices. This summer I have discovered estate sales, and what a discovery it has been!  Overall, the quality of goods is higher than at garage sales and thrift stores. The items for sale are not random things that people don't want any longer, but rather, EVERYTHING you find in a household. There is often an abundance of vintage items, as well as a nice selection of newer things in great condition. Estate sales are wonderful for building up your yard and garden tool selection.  Wheelbarrows, rakes, hand tools, and flower pots can be found at the right sales. High quality table and bed linens (often vintage) are also usually available at very reasonable prices. Clothes, suitcases, holiday decorations,appliances, kitchen ware, and dishes...you name it! If I am looking for something specific, like a wheelbarrow, I try to go the first day while the selection is good.  However, the real bargains are found on the last day when items are reduced 50%.  The items in the photo above were purchased at half price for a  total of $5.60! Not only did I get a great deal, but I now have some unique and useful items that are in keeping with the era of my home. I love that! The red clock came right off the laundry room wall of a home in my neighborhood, and right onto my own kitchen counter.  I enjoy thinking about the lady who looked at that clock while doing her chores, and about her filling those salt and pepper shakers so long ago when they were new.It is good to know that other generations have been engaged in the tasks I do today! Estate sales also give you a great perspective on the "stuff" we use in this life.  We aren't taking any of it with us when we depart from this earth and this truth is clearly seen as you prowl through someone's house, seeing all the things they have collected over the years.  One day, the treasures we thought were so important here on earth will be sitting around on tables for bargain-hunting strangers to search through. Do we believe a thing to be useful?  Is it beautiful?  We may enjoy it here for a limited time, but let us not give up the more eternal things for the temporary during our time on earth!

For more ways to save money this summer click here, here, and here !

2 comments:

  1. My parents have been the ones to conduct estate sales for people and oh my, the things people have collected! It is amazing what people have in their homes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a whole new perspective on estate sales. :) And you are so right on...we shouldn't be storing up for ourselves treasures on earth.
    Blessings

    ReplyDelete