Saturday, August 20, 2011

Math Facts... and an (unrelated) inspiring link!

 We have enjoyed getting back into the school routine this week. According to my daughter, one of the best parts of starting a new school year is that the math facts are all addition and are all easy!

Her comment reminded me of our favorite way to practice math facts. I just copy her drill sheets, slide them into page protectors, and clip them in her 3-ring binder.  I pop out the appropriate sheet when it is time to practice and, with dry erase marker in hand, she is ready to go. No more endless copying of sheets or buying drill workbooks!  My eldest son used this same concept when practicing his Latin declensions.  His co-op teacher had them use fine point Sharpie Markers, and then they would use a Magic Eraser to clean the page protector. Either way, it is a great way to stay organized, conserve paper, and save money! In addition to pen and paper drill work, there are some great folder games, board games, and songs that focus on fact memorization. Try several different things to see what works for your child. Shake things up from time to time and do something different and fun. Even a simple thing, like letting your student pick the color pen they want to use, can help keep fact memorization from becoming too boring.

To change subjects completely, a blog reader sent me the most wonderful link. Do you remember when I wrote about a book entitled The Boy From Baby House 10? It is still the best book I have read this year. And everyday I still think about about and pray for disabled children/former preemies worldwide who need families. It is a powerful book. Click here to see a wonderful story about John reuniting with an old friend from his orphanage in Russia ( courtesy of the Yankees!).  I know you will enjoy watching what God can do with "unsalvageable" children!

No comments:

Post a Comment