Saturday, September 24, 2011

Why I Read About Farming

...another photo from our trip in May....
"And like poetry, farming is an ancient choice but a fluid line, granting each new generation both heritage and a unique person challenge."  ~Lynda Hopkins


This week a sneezy-achy-fevery bug hit me.  Unpleasant. Especially since I had to spend an entire sunny, beautiful day in bed!! I hate to complain because it was short-lived and could have been much worse, but  it is just torturous to stay in bed when the sun is shining! On the up side, I was able to do some reading during my illness. The quote above is from the library book that I happened to have on hand this week. I wish I could recommend it to you, but it is sitting unfinished in the library bag to be returned. The writing was wonderful, the story was compelling, and, frankly, I wish I knew how things turned out in the end for the young woman writing the work. The thing that turned me off ( in a big way) was the foul language. It is a shame that such language was included because,otherwise, it would have been a great read.

I am almost always reading a book about farming. I have never been quite sure why.  However, this quote captures one aspect that draws me to the topic...a blend of heritage with  personal and unique challenges.  It is true in tiny gardens, as well as big farms.  Furthermore, it is true in motherhood, homemaking, and in matters of faith/application of Biblical principles. In an extremely tangible way, this applies to living in an old house.  All ancient choices, all with strong connections to the past, but each bringing  new challenges to each generation and each individual. Yes, this is the stuff I love to live and read about.

I appreciate the insight the insight, Ms. Hopkins, and I hope that in your next work you will consider editing out the foul language so your writing will appeal to a wider audience!

2 comments:

  1. Hello, Mrs. T, I am so glad you are much better. I left a comment for you over on my blog, but I realized you might not see it, and I wanted to come and visit anyway :) It is so true that many things in life have that woven continuum of both heritage and challenge in each new generation ~ since I am interested in genetics and the passing on of traits, it is easily seen in parents and offspring (both the good and the not so good). Makes me wonder what the great-grandparents were like.
    Were you raised on a farm?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the study of genetic traits as well, especially since I am adopted and know my birth mother. Fascinating stuff! No, I was not raised on a farm, but my grandparents lived in farming communities and has small farms. I worked on a farm in high school and LOVED it!

    ReplyDelete