Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Book of the Week: The Boy From Baby House 10


 This is the best book I have read this year. I walked past it in a library display and put it in my bag without even seeing what it was about. I read it in just a few days time, only to find myself re-reading it. Although that was many months ago, I just haven't been able to write a review on it. There was so much to take in and process. I still don't know that I can do a worthy review, but I know many of you are getting together your summer reading and this is a must read.

Hardly a day goes by that I don't think about something I read  in this book. It is the true account of former preemie named John, who was an orphan in Russia suffering from cerebral palsy. Through a miraculous (and lengthy) maze of circumstances, along with the courage of some very ordinary volunteers, he was eventually able to be adopted by an American. He has since flourished into a well-adjusted  high school honor student. Although I was intellectually very aware of the dreadful situations in many overseas orphanages, and even more aware of the plight of special needs children in other countries,(not to mention the general power of adoption), this book brought it all together in an earth-shattering kind of way. Everyday I now pray for children in orphanages in other countries. My heart simply cannot rest if I don't lift these little ones up to our Heavenly Father. I pray that someone will touch them and show them dignity and love, that workers will take the time to adequately feed them at meal time, that they will be allowed to play with toys, that they will receive physical therapy and medical treatment, that they will have time outside, that friends can stay together, that they will be able to retain the ability to love others and be loved, that they will know God's comfort in a real way as they suffer, that God will send His people to help them, that they will find relief, that they will be adopted into forever families. Often my heart just breaks and I can only rest on Romans 8:26 :" In the same way, the Spirit helps us in our weakness. We do not know what we ought to pray for, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us with groans that words cannot express."   Yes, earth-shattering. That is really all I can adequately say.

 While showing many unpleasant realities, this account is also filled with hope. Ordinary people made a difference in one little boy's life. A very big difference. Just regular, ordinary people who cared and noticed someone besides themselves, changed someone's life! In addition, John  was able to remain psychologically strong and retain the ability to reach out to others after suffering terrible neglect. He found a place in a family and has done well. He is now in a situation where his disability does not hold him back. John's story is one that deserved to be told, and I know there are thousands more that deserve to be told as well. There is really so much more to be said...read the Amazon reviews for a more detailed and polished description...but please do read this book!

1 comment:

  1. I would love to read this book! I will have to look for it at our library. I completely understand your heart for the children all over the world who simply need to be loved. My heart aches for them daily and my mind seems to be in constant overdrive trying to figure out what else we can do to help or how else we can relay the need to others...but at the end of the day, I must rest in our loving Father who knows these children and loves them more than I ever could--just as you reminded us that He hears even the groans... I pray that the Lord will open more hearts and use more of His people to be His hands and feet for the dear ones who so desperately need to belong, to be loved, touched, talked to and dignified. Thanks for sharing the book recommendation!

    ReplyDelete