Friday, May 27, 2011

A Week of Poetry, Day 5: An Amy Carmichael Poem

                                           
A special thanks to our daughter Peace for sharing her photography this week! I have really appreciated her taking over some of the blog responsibilities so I could focus on some pressing tasks. Next week I will be away form the computer on an adventure, but please check in and read a guest post by my friend Michelle.  Michelle is a published author and an  insightful mother of  two boys. You may find that you have some of her home schooling books on your shelf at home!

Today's poem is by missionary Amy Carmichael. It is one of my favorites.  I first read in in her biography, A Chance to Die, when I was in high school.  At that time I committed it to memory. It has been an encouragement to me many times when I faced the choice between "easy" and the high call of serving God and dying to self.  There is no title listed in the book from which I first read it and, as always, the punctuation and capitalization is as the author desired.  I hope this "prayer-poem", as Elisabeth Elliot calls it, will be as meaningful to you as it is to us!


                                                     From prayer that asks that I may be
                                                     Sheltered from the winds that beat on Thee,
                                                     From fearing when I should aspire,
                                                     From faltering when I should climb higher,
                                                     From silken self, O Captain, free
                                                     Thy soldier who would follow Thee.


                                                 
                                                    From subtle love of softening things,
                                                    From easy choices, weakenings,
                                                    (Not thus are spirits fortified,
                                                    Not this way went the Crucified,)
                                                    From all that dims Thy Calvary,
                                                    O Lamb of God, deliver me.


                                                    Give me love that leads the way,
                                                    The faith that nothing can dismay
                                                    The hope no disappointments tire
                                                    The passion that will  burn like fire,
                                                    Let me not sink to be a clod:
                                                    Make me Thy fuel, Flame of God.
                                                                                    -- Amy Carmichael

No comments:

Post a Comment