Monday, May 9, 2011

Kale and Chickpea Stir Fry


I don't blog about cooking very often.  Honestly, it seems like I am constantly trying to juggle who can eat what, while still making sure that everyone is getting all the proper nutrients. Throw in having to read and reread every label on every ingredient, and needing to have portable, child-friendly items on hand at all times  (on a budget, of course!)...well, there are usually other things I would rather think about in my spare time besides food! However, there are a few ingredients that I am passionate enough about to include here, and this recipe uses two of them: kale and chickpeas.  

This weekend I hit the farmers market in search of some greens. ( My spring garden greens are still  needing to mature a bit.) Just for fun, I decided to type "stir fry kale recipe" into my handy-dandy Swagbucks toolbar.  I was richly rewarded with this recipe. First, I tossed some chickpeas in olive oil with some garlic and began to stir fry them. The recipe called for shallots, but I did not have any on hand.

Within ten minutes the chickpeas had a nice crust and the kitchen smelled heavenly!.  I  tossed in my fresh kale, some red pepper flakes, and salt.

A few more minutes of stir frying and it was ready to be sprinkled with some lemon juice and put on my plate beside some freshly grilled fish. Won*der*ful!!! I actually ended up sharing my fish, doubling my portion of greens, and mixing the remaining fish and greens together as one delicious dish!  Easy, healthy,delicious, beautiful...what more could you ask for?! 

This post is linked to Far Above Rubies  , Raising Homemakers and Our Simple Country Life.  Take some time and see what other homemakers are writing about this week! 







6 comments:

  1. Wow that does sounds delicious!!!! Now I know what I'll be making for lunch, hehe :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just made it, and it was a success with all our girls :-)very yummy

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so glad you liked it!! Don't you love a yummy and easy lunch? Thanks for letting me know you tried it :).
    Cassie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds good. A definite must try. Thank you for sharing on Domestically Divine.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum. I'll try it. I've always enjoyed your sesame chickpeas with spinach. I don't usually like kale--tough and bitter. But Laura shared another yummy kale recipe with me: steam a bunch of kale for 3-5 minutes, then add a couple of tablespoons of sesame oil, two cloves of minced garlic, some minced ginger, and salt to taste. Great flavor and texture.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, I bet the garbanzos made the kitchen smell heavenly!! Thanks for the recipe idea! I soak all our beans first overnight before I cook them in broth (usually), and then it is nutrient dense. Our boys will love it especially. It should help us use most of the chard before winter...there is so much.
    Jacqueline @ Deeprootsathome.com

    ReplyDelete