Sunday, May 8, 2011

Precious Moments and Answered Prayers

Last week our oldest daughter showed our youngest daughter  how to make a cozy reading nook behind her bed.  My heart melted as I listened to her sweetly tell her little sister how,when she was eight years old, her bed was placed diagonally in a corner. She continued on, telling how she loved to keep a basket of books back in the corner so she could slip back there to read. The two of them set to work gathering a pillow, a book basket, and some reading material, chatting all the while about how they could decorate the wall space.     

 A few minutes later, the little sister decided to invite her younger brother to come into her cozy spot so she could read some Bible stories to him. And while those two were busy together, another older sister decided to bake pretzels so everyone could have a warm afternoon snack. 
I watched all of this with a thankful, humble heart. Not everyday is like this (believe me!), but on this day I saw it clearly...the "otherness" (as opposed to selfishness) that I so often pray for in my children's lives. Somehow, in this world of mixed up priorities, and under the influence of a quite imperfect mother, my girls had the initiative to reach out, to create, to share God's Word, to nurture others. God has been gracious beyond measure...to me, to them, to the world...in allowing us the grace to leave ourselves behind, even for the shortest of moments.  He hears our prayers, mothers! Take your worries,your questions, and your fears to Him. He is able to do what we cannot do!
Pray, and let God worry. -- Martin Luther

1 comment:

  1. What a blessing to have children that love and care for each other. I am blessed in this way as well. Though like with you that isn't always what shows but I love it when it does!

    ReplyDelete