Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Heirloom Tomatoes in the Urban Garden

My mother-in-law and I recently met up with an old friend who lives in another part of the state.  Together we we had a lovely time touring various urban farms as part of a special gardening event. It was truly a delightful mix of  "farms" :  inner city back yard gardens, gardens at soup kitchens and schools, gardens in upscale urban areas; raised beds, front yard gardens, gardens on hills; chicken coops nice enough to house people, chicken coops on decks constructed from scrap lumber; new gardeners, master gardeners....the list could go on and on. It was so inspiring to see the creativity of other city-dwellers who deal with the same gardening issues we face.  Even better was having the opportunity to talk seasoned urban gardeners about a wide range of topics. Let me tell you, I asked lots of questions! I was especially fond of the senior adult gardeners...anyone listed with fifty-plus years of gardening experience was at the top of my list to go visit!

One thing that I am doing for the first time this year is growing heirloom tomatoes.  I acquired several starts from local, private growers who sell starts from their farms. My plants include the Black Krim ( from the former Soviet Union), Lillian Yellow, Box Car Willie, Italian Goliath, and Aunt Ruby's German Green. I have started this adventure with a bit of hesitation, knowing that heirloom varieties are not bread to resist disease like the more common hybrid varieties I have grown in the past. In visiting with the plant sellers and with folks on the tour, I picked up several tips on growing these tomatoes.

*Place one spoonful of Epsom salt in the hole with the plant.
*To prevent "the blight" (as we call it in these parts...I am working hard at using the proper lingo!), cover the ground near the plants with pine straw, newspaper, or grass clippings to keep dirt from splashing onto the lower leaves.
* Space plants far apart so that any disease will not spread from plant to plant
*Plant flowers near the plants to encourage pollination.
*When the plants are young, use an aluminum collar to keep the cutworms from achieving their goal.
*Water often since heirloom tomatoes have thinner skin and are more prone to cracking
*For pest control, spray some Bronner's Peppermint Soap on the plant. A mixture of one gallon water, 1spoonful of Epsom Salt, 1 spoonful of baking soda, "some" dish soap was also suggested.

I am very excited to see how things go with our tomatoes, as well as the rest of our garden! I think growing food for your own family is one of the most exciting parts of homemaking. I have been doing it for many years, but each new season I am amazed as I watch the way God uses small seeds to provide us with food food!  I do have to say that, as in years past, my enthusiasm is not shared by all who reside in our humble abode. In fact, there have been several back yard sit-ins from the four footed among us. This conscientious objector has given me quite a challenge, but a little fencing and some well placed wooden plant tags have finally encouraged her to take her protests elsewhere :) ! Happy Gardening!


This post is linked to Our Simple Country Life and Far Above Rubies.



3 comments:

  1. I love heirloom tomatoes! I plant over 20 varieties of tomatoes, and most are heirlooms. The flavors and colors are lovely. I'm planning to put up a new post on them tonight. I hope they work out well for you.

    I found you via Far Above Rubies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 20 varieties...how fun! I had a really hard time choosing and am looking forward to (hopefully) seeing and tasting them all. So far they look great!I will be sure to go and read your post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I believe heirloom tomatoes taste better! {My grandma grows them.}

    This year my hubby and I are trying something new in the garden...companion planting. We'll see how it goes!

    Thanks for linking up!

    Much Love & Blessings,
    ESTHER
    Our Simple Country Life

    ReplyDelete