Monday, March 7, 2011

Author of the Week: Shirley Hughes


Today was our library day.  I don't think there is a better way to spend the afternoon than showing children a wide variety of books and helping them choose some to bring home ( free of charge!!!). When choosing books with my younger children I ask myself several questions.  One of the most important questions is, " How will this book...the story and the illustrations...influence their hours of play?"  When it comes to books that inspire imaginative,wholesome pre-school play times,( as well as leave you with a warm feeling about daily life with children), Shirley Hughes is my all-time favorite author.

I was introduced to this British author and illustrator years ago by my dear friend Sarah. She pointed out that our oldest son (about three years old at the time) was remarkably like Alfie, one of the main characters in several of Hughes' books. For that reason alone, the Alfie and Annie Rose books are quite dear to me! In addition, I love that her books display children of many cultures happily living together in a positive, working class, urban setting. Her illustrations are beautiful  and realistically reflect children and home life. The stories could only be written by a mom who has "been there" and knows all about the everyday challenges and joys of children.

Today at the library we picked up the The Big Alfie Out of Doors Storybook. The first story is about Alfie and his little sister setting up a shop in their back yard. My mind went back to this picture of Thunderbolt and his shop, which he and Spunky patterned after Alfie and Annie Rose's shop!

Another favorite story in this book is the tale of Alfie and his special rock named Bonting.  Bonting, who has his own hand made bathing suit, travels with Alfie to the beach and gets misplaced...for a while. In this story Hughes is fantastic at drawing the reader into the story and causing moms and children alike to almost ache with empathy. This is also achieved in her fantastic book Dogger. ( It is sometimes titled David and Dog, if you have the American version). David loses his beloved toy dog and his sister comes to the rescue.  After thirteen years of reading this story I still get teary eyed over Bella's her sweet sacrifice for her little brother. Other favorite Alfie books include Alfie Gets in First (when Alfie gets locked inside his house), Alfie's Feet, (when Aflie gets new rain boots), and The Birthday Surprise, (when Alfie is part of a birthday surprise for a sad neighbor).  The Big Concrete Lorry and Angle Mae are also excellent, slightly longer, stories about the children of Trotter street, a London working class neighborhood. I know there are many more that will come to mind later...

Recently I was visiting with my now far-away friend Sarah, and she commented how fortunate I am to still have little ones who enjoy Alfie and Annie Rose books.  I couldn't agree more! If you don't have pre-school children of your own, find a few in your neighborhood or church and read them one of these sweet books. I think you will enjoy it as much as they will! If you cannot find these books at your local library they are well worth the wait with Inter-library Loan.  I will also  place an Amazon link for a few titles in the sidebar of the blog  if you wish to order through Amazon. You can also search the Amazon link for further books by Hughes. They are excellent birthday and shower gifts! 
Happy Reading! 


1 comment:

  1. I love Alfie and Annie Rose! I try to get my boys to get them even now but it doesn't work. I have such fond memories of checking these out from the library. Yes, you are blessed to still get to read them aloud! I miss The Big Red Barn and Brown Bear, Brown Bear!

    ReplyDelete