Friday, March 4, 2011

Make Your Home a Haven: Thursday


Thursday is my busiest day. We did manage to make time to go outside and enjoy this beautiful sunshine.  Letting children run around and be creative outside is a high priority in my book!

 While we were out in the yard I swept away some of the leaves from the herb garden and discovered some little green shoots of  lemon balm coming up. I am so ready for spring so I can get out in the garden and do some planting!  The warm weather has been great for the lettuce crop.  I think a fresh salad might be in order this evening!
 I also let Thunderbolt be my laundry helper today.  He is great at folding washcloths and gets so excited about helping.  I am forever reminding myself to "train the little ones" in household tasks.  It is so much more efficient to hand the laundry to my 14 year old, but the whole reason I can do that is because I trained her when she was little!  Thunderbolt and I had fun working on placing the folded edges on the same side so they will look tidy in the closet and not fall over. He became so excited about this concept that he did the same with his dad's socks...one by one!
Because some of the children have a commitment out side the home on Thursday evening, I decided that Einstein should start being in charge of dinner that night.  The girls love to cook and his training in this department has been quite neglected.  So last night I instructed him in the making and serving of spaghetti.  Due to  some serious food allergies and sensitivities in our ranks, meal preparations isn't as easy as it used to be. However, Einstein did a great job keeping the blue spatula in the gluten free noodles, and the yellow in the regular noodles, and double checking all the labels for issues with corn, milk, and nuts.  I am going to let him solo with spaghetti next week, and then we will try something else after that.

I finished the evening waiting for the children in the van, listening to a MP3 recording of several moms talking about the blessings of raising a large family.  I don't really consider five to be a large family, but I guess in some people's eyes it is.  It was so funny to hear that moms with 8 and 10 children feel the same way about their family....our children are just people God brings into our lives one by one that make up our family...each valuable and special! The encouragement and wisdom of these moms was a great way to end a busy day!

2 comments:

  1. This was such a lovely post. I great reminder to teach the little ones. It is so much easier, like you said not to, but it is so important. I need to brush up on this area. Thanks for the reminder. We have gluten-free eaters in our house,too, which makes things complicated as well. I understand. I love the picture of the folded laundry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How fun that you are growing stuff in your garden already!! It will be a while for us as our frost free date isn't usually until memorial day. I am still getting excited about it however. :-)

    Great points about training kids when they are young. I am trying to work on that more too.

    ReplyDelete