Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Make Your Home a Haven: Tuesday


Today I am linking up with Monica at The Homespun Heart and blogging about how I have worked to make my home a haven today.  Monica has a sweet blog and I would encourage you to check out her posts, as well as the links to other sites participating in the " Make Your Home a Haven"  challenge! And now, on to my day.....

Tuesday is my easiest day of the week.  I try not to cram it with grand plans, but to use it as a general "catch up" sort of day.  One of my tasks was to open and store the 50 pound bag of grain I acquired yesterday.  All but two large zip-lock bags full fit into my storage bucket. This lead to a bit of pantry cleaning and re-organizing, as well as the anticipation of baking some bread tomorrow! I made three loaves on Monday and we are down to just half a loaf.  I didn't buy any store bought bread this week ( save the gluten free variety for those of us who need that).  I am eager to see if we can actually bake all of our "weekly bread"!


 I was able to run some errands with the children in the afternoon. I picked up this $1.00 container at an office supply store and had fun transforming it into a counter top compost storage box.  I have been trying to redouble my composting efforts. How weary I  have become of seeing plates of fruit and veggie peels and egg shells sitting about the counters. And,wouldn't you know, it always seems that some well-meaning soul will toss them in the trash can before I can get them out to the barrel!  I think this container may be of help in all of these areas!
 I also made a quick trip by the thrift store to pick up a pair of five dollar curtains I saw this week end.  In my world, five dollars is a large chunk of change. Although I really thought the curtains were just the thing for Thunderbolt's room, I had to think about it before purchasing. I decided to go for it given the fact that they look as if they were meant to go with his hand-me-down bed spread, his free rug, and his three dollar pillow sham! Now I only need to get around to painting his hand-me-down dresser and five dollar head board :).  His room is in a rather visible location in our home and I will be thankful for the space to finally have a more finished look.
 The children and I spent lots of time outdoors this afternoon enjoying the sunshine.  I was thrilled that the storms last evening did not damage our flowering bushes.  Peace picked several bouquets and we scattered them around the house in various little jars and vases.  I love flowers in the house, and how kind of the Almighty to fashion beautiful flowers that are brave enough to bloom in February!
Of course, we did all the usual things...school, Bible ( we are memorizing James 1...such a rich text and a huge blessing to me!), laundry, chores.  Perhaps the most important reminder I had today as I thought about making our home a haven was to remember the power I have in my attitude.  "Choose joy" was my phrase of the day, repeated often to myself.  "Help me choose joy, Lord," was prayed more often than I can remember.  Isn't life full of little irritations...sprinkled with big worries...peppered with ailments of all kinds?  It won't matter if our laundry is folded and our cabinets are tidy if we aren't resting on the joy of the Lord as our strength. We will be grumpy and short-tempered....our home will be tense and unwelcoming. Our attitude is contagious to those around us! That is the most important thing when it comes to the atmosphere of our home. My goal for tomorrow is to rely on the Almighty's strength in order to "count it all joy" ...all the interruptions, all the unchecked items on the to-do list...everything! A peace-filled, joyful wife and mother can't help but make a home the haven we all desire for our loved ones!

4 comments:

  1. Lovely! Great find on the curtains and great job on making your home a haven!

    Blessings on your day today,
    Monica

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so right about needing to choose Joy. I have been reading "One Thousand Gifts" and trying to focus on gratitude in the hard times - God is SO good and we can bless our families so much when we reflect that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amen. Choosing joy makes a difference in everything we do and blesses everyone we see during each day. Praise God for His everlasting love.

    ReplyDelete
  4. pippasmum,
    I keep hearing about that book! It must be very powerful! I loved her blog post about Oprah gratitude vs. Gratitude to God. Have a great day!
    Cassie

    ReplyDelete