Thursday, March 3, 2011

Make Your Home a Haven : Wednesday




Last evening we had a busy night, so I am sharing my Wednesday " Make Your Home a Haven" post this morning!  Be sure to check out Monica's blog to see what the other ladies in the challenge are up to this week!

In the early afternoon I was able to make some bread.  Spunky was my helper this time around and she made a loaf especially for her Mimi.  We are very blessed to live near both sets of grandparents.  When I heard that some construction work at church was producing lots of saw dust in the building, I asked Mimi if she was up to dinner and a movie with her youngest grandson. ( Thunderbolt, our former preemie with breathing issues, has had a fantastic year health wise, but I know from experience that this boy and saw dust in the air are not a good combination!) She graciously agreed and even went to the library and brought a video and some books on tape. When she left, Spunky was delighted to present her with a fresh loaf of bread.

My other big victory was doing the "big mop" in the kitchen.  I love living in an older home.  Do I love vintage flooring?  Ummm...not so much. I don't even know what you call this type of flooring.  It is terrible to keep clean because it has these large grooves where dirt collects. I am sure a housewife had nothing to do with this design!  I wore my little steam mop out when Thunderbolt was crawling around, so I had to come up with a new method.  I boil a tea kettle full of water and put some cleaner on a rough rag ( I use Pine Sol because this is the smell of clean to my beloved!). I start in one corner and pour some of the boiling water on the floor and then scrub with my cloth....and I just keep doing this until I am done.  Then I go back with another cloth and dry the floor.   I often dread the "big mop" ( I just spot clean on a daily basis), but really it isn't ever as bad as I think it is going to be.  And when I walked into the kitchen this morning the whole room looked better!

Small victories:
*throwing out an old window shade that I had hastily stashed beside a dresser
*assisting Love in giving Thunderbolt's room a good cleaning and vacuuming
*remembering to put some meat in the freezer instead of letting it expire in the refrigerator

Today?  Not sure what will get done....it is supposed to be Einstein's first night to cook dinner for all of us, but we have leftovers from last night.  Will the leftovers be on our plates or in the freezer for next week's lunches??   Only time will tell :).  Have a wonderful day!

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like you got so much done. I do know about vintage flooring. Our house is from 1900.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1900! How much fun! We are just in a 1940ish house :).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Spunky's bread was so delicious!! Thank you for teaching her to keep up this time honored tradition of homemade bread.
    Love,
    MiMi

    ReplyDelete