Monday, October 3, 2011

Servanthood


     "Could it be right," Amy had asked, "to turn from so much that might be of profit and become just nursemaids?"  The answer was yes.  It is not the business of the servant to decide which work is great, which is small, which is important or unimportant--he is not greater than his master. 
     "If by doing some work which the undiscerning consider 'not spiritual work' I can best help others, and I inwardly rebel, thinking it is the spiritual for which I crave, when in truth it is the interesting and exciting, then I know nothing of Calvary love," Amy wrote after many years of such "unspiritual" work.  


               ~ from A Chance to Die: The Life and Legacy of Amy Carmichael, by Elisabeth Elliot

2 comments:

  1. Such a good quote for my current situation! I am enjoying your blog and hoping and praying to someday have half your wisdom and patience!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually had this quote above my dryer when our oldest two were babies in cloth diapers :). The first part of the quote talks about her having 17 squalling babies in her care! Enjoy those baby days, friend!

    ReplyDelete