Monday, October 24, 2011

Warm Breakfast Ideas ( Allergy-Friendly)


Fall is a super busy time at our house. I try to get up a full hour before the rest of our family so that I have ample time for Bible reading and prayer, along with some time to organize the day ahead while I clutch my steaming cup of coffee. This jump-start on the day makes all the difference. In spite of the urge to accomplish a few extra tasks in the morning hours, I love being able to offer a warm breakfast as chilly, groggy loved ones tumble out of bed. ( And there is also the added benefit of the stove heating up the kitchen a bit!) It doesn't happen everyday, but here are some time efficient, budget-friendly fall breakfast dishes that help us ease into chilly mornings. They can all be quickly modified for GF/CF diets.

* Baked Oatmeal: This is one of my favorites because it is very economical and the left overs make great afternoon snacks.  I really like this recipe, although I have one child who prefers that I leave out the baking powder, making a more crunchy oatmeal bar.  Other favorite flavor variations include drizzling pure maple syrup or honey over the top of the bars, mixing in bits of fresh apple instead of cranberries, and spreading a thin layer of  jam on top of the bars.  To make this recipe GF/CF I simply use GF oats, GF vanilla and soy/rice milk.

*Baked French Toast:  Here is a recipe for Baked Orange French Toast...yummmmm!  GF bread, or even GF Udi hot dog buns, can be substituted for french bread.

*Muffins:  I usually just make the normal muffins and then pull some GF muffins out of the freezer. This is a great homemade muffin mix to keep on hand.    For the GF freezer muffins I usually use a GF mix, Namaste being my favorite for our CF/CF/Nut free/Corn free needs.

*Homemade Applesauce, straight from the crock pot: This is especially wonderful if you have freshly picked apples! I get it started before going to bed in my Smart Pot crock pot that automatically shifts to the "warm" setting when the cooking time is complete. The apple-vanilla-cinnamon smell alone is enough to coax tired teenagers ( and parents!) out of bed! 

In addition to the main dish, a pot of hot tea, cider, or hot chocolate is always appreciated first thing in the morning.  Enjoy making fall mornings warm and memorable for your family!





Growing Home

3 comments:

  1. From one GF cook to another, I just have to say "thank-you" for sharing these breakfast ideas! That's a meal I always struggle with, especially since my hubby starts work at 6:00am. :-) Have you ever tried making a baked oatmeal in a crockpot? Or have any other crockpot breakfast recipes?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! That is early! I have never tired baked oatmeal in the crock pot, but it sounds like a great idea. I usually mix the dry ingredients the night before and have them waiting for me to add the rest in the morning. I did try quinoa and millet in the crock pot for breakfast (with chopped fresh fruit, sugar and cinnamon added in ). I thought it was good, but it did not go over well with everyone else.:)Let me know if you come up with anything. It is great to wake up and have breakfast already to go!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These all sound really good right now. I think I'll try the baked oatmeal for my family soon. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete