Tuesday, October 15, 2013

God Hears

                                                                  Welcome to Day 15!

I saw her in the grocery store and she made me smile.  Her hair was crazy-wild. Her shoes were out of style and worn.  She flirtatiously maneuvered a scooter-cart around the parking lot, enjoying her ride and doing her best to entertain the other shoppers. But what made me smile was her shirt.  Bright blue in color, a bit too large in size, and sporting neon-yellow-1980's-style block letters, her shirt boldly read: GOD HEARS OUR PRAYERS. She parked her scooter and hobbled to a beat-up car. I told her I liked her shirt, we exchanged toothy grins, and I offered a silent prayer of thanks.

 I am thankful that I get to rub shoulders with down-trodden, wild-haired, brave believers. We are more alike than they will ever know. Had this woman ever prayed for her physical pain to be removed?  For better shoes?  For a nicer car or money for a hair cut? A non-believer could easily wonder if God was really listening to her.  Things weren't looking good  from a worldly point of view. Perhaps even believers questioned if her shirt spoke truth. Maybe they were embarrassed by her.  Certainly no one would be choosing her to be the poster girl for the "health and wealth" crowd.  But she didn't seem concerned with what anyone else thought. She was still being joyful, boldly telling the world that the God of the universe was listening to her, one of the least of these in the eyes of many.

As I carefully spent my grocery money I continued to think about prayer. I had prayed for physical pain to be removed, for better shoes, for a newer car, and for a haircut...all of these things and more in the past months.  God had not granted these things to me.  But I still knew He was listening.   His "not now"answers came with the gift of an upward and outward gaze; with a realization that there were higher things I could be focusing on and praying for.  "Not now" answers had brought contentment, and contentment had brought joy. Trials had brought the ability to comfort others.  Prayer had brought me strength and imported "brave" right into the heart of my timid soul. Yes, He was listening and doing far greater things than I imagined !

Be encouraged, all of you who courageously wait and pray.  God hears your prayers and He is doing more than you think. And one day, your chance will come to boldly proclaim this truth to the world, even if you are not a t-shirt kind of gal!

No comments:

Post a Comment