Monday, October 28, 2013

The Brave Beauty of Less

 Welcome to Day ?????  Well, I am afraid that I actually don't know what day it is in this 31 Days of Brave series!  I do know that this 31 day journey will be extending on past October for this blogger! Sickness, Internet issues, computer issues, more sickness, and  little bits of craziness strung together like Fruit Loops on a piece of yarn....life happens, so blogging must wait!

 Since I am in a vertical position for the first time in 48 hours, I'll not attempt any meaningful words of my own.( You never know what you might write while under the influence of Throat Coat Tea!) Instead, enjoy these words from one of my favorite bloggers, Shannan. She's one of the grace-empowered brave, not afraid to live life uniquely and on the edge, and she inspires me often! Go read her blog! ( The "here" she speaks of in the first line of the quote is a place of having less in terms of income.)

I can't say for sure why we're here, but the truth stills my knocking knees and racing heart if I let it: God is made bigger in our brand-new smallness.

And so we keep paring down, knowing it's never really enough and even more, it's not even about what is or isn't "enough". God owns the bank. He trusts each of us in ways He ought to know better. He has things to teach us about extravagance, provision, and freedom. We steward what we have with as much wisdom as possible. We accept our inevitable failures. Even now, we have much more than we need, and we continue to wrestle.

What about leaving a legacy for our children?

We haven't forgotten. Our legacy to them is the Gospel, one where grace fills all the cracks and family is global. Our legacy is a front-row seat to our budgeting talks and all associated traumas. Our legacy is telling them no, it's hand-me-downs and the Goodwill, it's stretching the soup for one more at the table.

Our legacy is casting light on all the ways our daily bread finds us and reminding them who sent it.  It's the humility to receive. It's the slow-learning that "average" and "typical" are overrated and "low" is often the sweet-spot.

It's a foolish economy, where nothing makes sense until you stand on your head."

You can read Shannan's entire post here.

No comments:

Post a Comment