Monday, October 7, 2013

Day 7: The Brave Mom


Welcome to Day 7!  You can read the other 31 Days of Brave posts here.

There seem to be two aspects to bravery.  One side of the coin is the courageous endurance called for during times of trial or difficulty; the other side is the idea of bold risk-taking.  In both areas moms are given the chance to model  and cultivate bravery in their sphere of influence. My family stretches me in the area of risk quite often.   


My household is full of artistic and determined thinkers.   They stand at the edge of a drop-off to get the perfect photo, make ridiculously complicated 3-D projects, and determinedly master the skill of walking on a slack line ( even if involves a bit of blood-shed). They have interesting ideas for making money and crazy dreams for their futures. And sometimes they toss 3 point shots at critical moments in  basketball games and or dive for a ball as if it is a matter of life or death. We have the scars to prove it!

I have had to learn to say an enthusiastic "yes!" to saving things like old pizza boxes. I have had to let go of common sense as I have donated roll after roll of scotch tape to creative endeavors. I have had to resist shielding my eyes during basketball games.  I have had to learn that a brave mom does not just  tolerate risk taking opportunities, but celebrates them!  The pay off has been worth it.  Have there been some epic fails?  Yes.  But also the development of character and perseverance. Most importantly, secure young adult are emerging and facing the world  with the knowledge that we are more than our successes. Sometimes only failure can teach these things. And epic moments of beauty and accomplishment?  A few of those have come our way too! 

So, when my husband wanted to paint our kitchen, that hallowed space where I spend most of my time and energy, a bold shade of orange, I said yes. Honestly, it's not very Mrs.T.-like in style. ( I'd pick a nice shade of light blue with simple white curtains, thank you very much!) But I am so proud of it.  It's full of vitality and shouts "unique!" in a cookie-cutter world.  I still walk in there and giggle sometimes. That bold, in-your-face hue reminds me that my home is a place that is nurturing the next generation of BRAVE. 


No comments:

Post a Comment